I started with a full sheet of Maple plywood. I broke it down into manageable chunks using my track saw.
To cover up the plywood lines, I ripped some thin strips of maple hardwood. Here I'm applying the glue to adhere the strips.
...and now actually attaching the strips. I "clamp" them on using some painters tape.
I live the strips a little wider than 3/4 of an inch so that they are slightly proud of the plywood. Then I trim them flush using a router.
Now that the rough pieces are created, I find tune everything to finished dimensions and cut in some joinery. Here I'm making miters on the edges of all of the case pieces.
On the second picture I'm cutting in rabbets to the backs of the pieces so that I can eventually inset the back panel.
Then I cut a few grooves into the front of all of the pieces to hold some sliding doors.
Finally I cut in a dado to the top and bottom piece to eventually insert a vertical partition. I use a router and then square up the cut using a chisel.
With every thing made, i assembled the case. I used a couple dominoes to make assembly easier and provide a bit of reinforcement.
Here I'm making the doors fro the case out of 1/4" maple plywood. They don't have any handles, just a little negative space for a finger to grab.
With the cabinet out of the way I turned my attention to the frame. First I milled and cut out blanks for all of the pieces. These are made from Walnut hardwood.
You can see I'm a big proponent of marking the hell out of things. Trying to avoid mistakes...thought I still make them.
Then with all of the pieces to their proper dimensions I cut in some joinery, and some dados to hold the shelves.
This youtube video takes you through the design and build process.
It includes detailed builds, design-talk, 3D modeling, and more. Don't forget to subscribe!